Dave Conley, moose hunting guide and outfitter, offers guided Maine Moose Hunts in northern Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2,3, 4, 5, 6 & 11. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut with the September season being prime rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call. A heart pounding experience as a thousand-pound moose closes in on you thinking you are a cow moose in heat, a bull that’s just drawn away his cow, or another bull moose intruding on his territory. With the ability to quarter and pack out your moose, we’re able to get on foot to spot n stalk, placing you in the absolute best moose country!
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides
- Calling and spot n stalk for your moose
- Remote drive to camps located in your WMD
- Avoid parades of trucks and early AM lines at the NMWs gates
- Small numbers of hunting parties in camp
- Very clean, well equipped, and organized camps
Dave has personally guided more than 20 moose hunts with over 95% success rate.
FIGHTING BULLS! 2017 Season
It’s day four and only 5 minutes into the morning hunt when the clash of racks can be heard on a distant ridge. What an Adrenalin rush as we hiked over half a mile to the sound of fighting bulls and watched Andrew harvest this nice 45″ bull (below) in the heat of the battle at 20 yards! (testimonial & contacting Andrew)
Father & Son Moose Hunt, 2017 Season
With a waning rut, reading the situation and getting it right resulted in David and his son Rick harvesting this nice 51″ bull moose (below) during the October 2017 Maine moose hunting season. To ask Rick questions about his hunt, (contact us for Rick’s email or phone number)
Close Moose Encounter Video, 2017 Season
Another Canoe the Wild moose hunt, this one guided by Josh Haines. What a thrill to hear and see these bulls respond to the call! This being 1 of 10 moose encounters while on this 2017 hunt! (Testimonial and contacting Howard)
Remote Wall Tent Camps, Spike Camps, Cabins
Includes top-notch equipment, fantastic meals, dedicated guides, and experienced camp cooks. You will be amazingly comfortable. The main wall tent serves as a community area for meals and meeting. Private sleep tents for your party of 2-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with heavy duty cots, carpet flooring and a wood stove. The outhouse is cleaned daily and showers are available with hot water on demand providing an uncommon level of comfort in a remote Maine moose camp. When there is only one hunting party in camp, we’ll downsize it a bit by setting up and working out of a spike camp. We have options for your guided moose hunt from cabins in WMD 3,5 & 6.
Moose hunting involves long days. We’ll be up well before day light and return after dark. The last thing you’ll want to worry about is meals. Our dedicated camp cooks will have the coffee on and breakfast hot and ready to serve when you arise, and a hardy supper to sit down to shortly after returning from a long day’s hunt. Lunches can be served back at camp are packed and sent along to have in the field.
For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
- September 24-29
- October 8-13
2018 Hunting Rates
$4750.00 fully outfitted and guided, WMD 1,2,4 & 5, hunt from remote wall tent or spike camps.
$4000.00 fully outfitted and guided, WMD 3, 5 & 6, hunt from camps (cabins) located within or close by your WMD.
VIP Hunt: Inquire about our VIP hunt where you’re the only hunting party in camp and 2 guides are devoted to your hunt.
Fully Outfitted and Guided Includes
- One on one guide for six-day hunt for you and your sub-permittee.
- Accommodations, all meals, and transportation for you and your sub-permittee while on your hunt, quartering, packing out and loading your quartered moose into your vehicle (game bags provided).
- Hunting License & Moose permit. Non-resident big game license $115.00, moose permit $585.00, (Maine residence license $26.00, moose permit $52.00). residents and $15.00 per person for non resident).
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $500.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Moose butchering rates (range $400.00 – $450.00). If you are taking your quartered meat to a local butcher and waiting a couple of days for your packaged meat to pick up, you’ll want 3 or 4 very large coolers (see picture below). We can make recommendations on who does a great job butchering your moose.
- Gate fees in WMD 1,2,4& 5 for day use and overnight camping charged by the North Maine Woods (2018 rates-Maine resident fall pass is $140.00 or $22.00 per day & night per person, non resident fall pass is $180.00 or $30.00 per day & night per person. Ages 70 and over, resident & non resident, fall pass is $75.00 )
- Gratuities: Moose guides work tirelessly long days and log many miles with their personal trucks prior to your hunt scouting and while driving to and from your hunting grounds. While not required, we suggest you tip your guide 11-13% of the hunting rate. They really appreciate it!
To secure your hunt, a deposit of $1000.00 is required with the balance due 30 days prior to the hunt.
Having your moose mounted? We can recommend options where you can drop off your head and cape.
The 2018 Maine Moose Lottery
If you desire to hunt with us, when filling out your moose lottery application, please choose WMD 1,2,4,5,3 & 6 in that order. Choose September and October seasons, bull only if you do not want to hunt an antler-less moose. The lottery is now open with a deadline of May 15th, drawing is June 9th (more info)
2019 Maine Moose Permit Auction
The state of Maine auctions off 10 permits in February to the highest bidder with the proceeds benefiting Maine kids going to conservation camp. The average winning Moose Auction Bid for 2017 was $15,023.45. Contact Dave to discuss having us represent you in the 2019 Maine moose auction. (more info)
It you are the fortunate winner of a moose tag in the Maine moose lottery or auction tag winner and are ready to book your hunt, contact Dave of Canoe the Wild:
- home 207-448-2743
- cell at 207-551-8729
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictures from 2013-17 seasons