Dave Conley, moose hunting guide and outfitter, offers guided Maine Moose Hunts in northern Wildlife Management Districts (WMD) 1,2,3, 4, 5, 6 & 11. The September and October moose hunting seasons coincide with the rut with the September season being prime rut. Much like turkey and elk, moose can be very susceptible to calling. What a thrill to interact with a trophy bull moose as it responds to the call. A heart pounding experience as a thousand-pound moose closes in on you thinking you are a cow moose in heat, a bull that’s just drawn away his cow, or another bull moose intruding on his territory. With the ability to quarter and pack out your moose, we’re able to get on foot to spot n stalk, placing you in the absolute best moose country! PICTURED ABOVE is a bull moose Dave called into close range for a hunter with mobility issues and harvested with a muzzle loader.
- High success rate
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides
- Calling and spot n stalk for your moose
- Remote drive to camp located in your WMD
- Avoid parades of trucks and early AM lines at the NMWs gates
- Small numbers of hunting parties in camp
- Dedicated camp cooks freeing up guides to focus on your hunt
- Very clean, well equipped, and organized camp
- Your own private tent with cots, wood stove & carpet flooring
- Multiple game cameras placed out well before your hunt
Dave has personally guided more than 20 moose hunts with over 95% success rate. A list of previously guided moose hunters with contact information is available upon request.
FIGHTING BULLS! 2017 Season
It’s day four and only 5 minutes into the morning hunt when the clash of racks can be heard on a distant ridge. What an adrenalin rush as we hiked over half a mile to the sound of fighting bulls. It was a hunt I will never forget as we approached these bulls and watched Andrew harvest a fighting bull at 15 yards! 2017 blog pictures, Link to Andrew’s Trip Advisor Review
Father & Son Moose Hunt, 2017 Season
David and his son Rick with their 51″ bull moose harvested during the October 2017 Maine moose hunting season. 2017 blog pictures
Close Moose Encounter, 2017 Season
Another Canoe the Wild moose hunt guided by Josh Haines and filmed by Michael O’Brien. Josh called in numerous moose. What a thrill to hear and see these bulls respond to the call! This being 1 of 10 moose encounters while on this 2017 hunt!
Shoot Shawn Shoot!!!
The air is thick with the stink of rutting moose, a cow moans and is coming to what she thinks is a bull moose raking brush and grunting. In tow is a very angry bull ready to fight off the competition. The trees are being torn apart as the vocal bull approaches to within thirty feet. “SHOOT, SEAN! SHOOT!” Too close for comfort as Shawn harvested his trophy bull moose.
This guy was alone and heading into his bedding grounds (or to check his wallows) 22 minutes before shooting time. Could you imagine checking this camera that morning and the game plan that would follow!!! It was the same morning Andrew took a nice bull in another area, after a half mile hike to the sound of fighting bulls!
Remote Moose Camp
Our remote hunts include top-notch equipment, five star rated tents, fantastic meals, dedicated guides, and experienced camp cooks. You will be amazingly comfortable. The main wall tent serves as a community area for meals and meeting. Private sleep tents for your party of 2-3 persons are spacious 12′ x 12′ Cabela’s Alaknak Ultimate Outfitter tents complete with oversized heavy duty cots (Camo cots XL rated for 400LBs), carpet flooring, sleeping pads, and a wood stove. The outhouse and shower stalls (see pictures below) are sturdy and spacious Cabela’s Deluxe shelters. The outhouse is cleaned daily and showers are available with hot water on demand providing an uncommon level of comfort in a remote Maine moose camp.
Moose hunting involves long days. We’ll be up well before day light and return after dark. The last thing you’ll want to worry about is meals. Our dedicated camp cooks will have the coffee on and breakfast hot and ready to serve when you arise, and a hardy supper to sit down to shortly after returning from a long day’s hunt. Lunches are packed and sent along to have in the field.
Dave called this huge bull moose into very close range during prime rut. For those with physical limitations, we hunt close to dirt roads or shorten the distance we travel on foot. We’ll adapt your hunt based on your physical abilities and desires.
2018 Hunting Rates
$4750.00 fully outfitted and guided, WMD 1,2,4 & 5, hunt from comfortable & remote wall tents.
$4500.00 fully outfitted and guided, WMD 1,2,3,4,5, When you’re the only party in camp, we’ll downsize it a bit and set up a spike camp.
$3750.00 fully outfitted and guided, WMD 3, 5 & 6, hunt from camps (cabins) located within or close by your WMD.
VIP Hunt: Inquire about our VIP hunt where you’re the only hunting party in camp and 2 guides are devoted to your hunt.
Fully Outfitted and Guided Includes
- One on one guide for six-day hunt for you and your sub-permittee.
- Accommodations, all meals, and transportation for you and your sub-permittee while on your hunt, quartering, packing out and loading your quartered moose into your vehicle (game bags provided).
- Hunting License & Moose permit. Non-resident big game license $115.00, moose permit $585.00, (Maine residence license $26.00, moose permit $52.00). residents and $15.00 per person for non resident).
- Extra persons (apart from you and your sub-permittee) is $500.00 per person for meals & accommodations.
- Moose butchering rates (range $400.00 – $450.00). If you are taking your quartered meat to a local butcher and waiting a couple of days for your packaged meat to pick up, you’ll want 3 or 4 very large coolers. We can make recommendations on who does a great job butchering your moose.
- Gate fees in WMD 1,2,4& 5 for day use and overnight camping charged by the North Maine Woods
To secure your hunt, a deposit of $1000.00 is required with the balance due 30 days prior to the hunt.
The 2018 Maine Moose Lottery: Opens up in February with a deadline mid May and drawing mid June. The state of Maine also auctions off 10 permits in February to the highest bidder with the proceeds benefiting Maine kids going to conservation camp. Contact Dave to discuss having us represent you in the 2018 Maine moose auction.
Having your moose mounted? We can recommend options where you can drop off your head and cape.
Moose guides work tirelessly long days and log many miles with their personal trucks prior to your hunt scouting and while on your hunt. We suggest you tip your guide much like you would when dining at a restaurant. We really appreciate it!
It you are the fortunate winner of a moose tag in the Maine moose lottery or auction tag winner and are ready to book your hunt, contact Dave of Canoe the Wild:
- home 207-448-2743
- cell at 207-551-8729
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictures from 2013-17 seasons