West Branch of the Penobscot River Canoe Trip
Easy flat water trips on the West Branch of the Penobscot River are ideal for families & older folks looking for a leisurely pace & wildlife viewing. The West Branch is a birder’s paradise! For the more adventurous, add a full day of exciting whitewater, below Saboomook dam to Roll dam.
- 3-5 days
- Mid May-September
Pictures of Past Trips
- 2016 West Branch Penobscot Leisure Canoe Trip
- 2015 West Branch Penobscot, Whitewater Canoe Trip
- 2014 West Branch, Penobscot River, Leisure Lobster Lake Trip
The West Branch is soft adventure and a good choice for families, adult, youth and scout groups looking for an easy calm-water canoe trip. Campsites are well maintained and are among the best you’ll find anywhere. A great canoe trip for bird watchers, birding, and spotting moose. Cost: $695.00 per person for a 3 day trip, add $150.00 per person per extra day.
With its headwaters beginning above Saboomook Lake, the West Branch of the Penobscot generally flows east until it meets up with the East Penobscot in Medway. Below Saboomook there are 2 miles of class II-III rapids which makes for an optional full day of whitewater canoeing. Below Roll Dam, the river flattens and widens out. It is 6.75 miles to where Lobster Lake enters on the right.
A trip to scenic Lobster Lake (3 miles) can provide for a relaxing trip with its sandy beaches and beautiful setting. From the confluence of Lobster Stream and the Penobscot, the river flows easily for 15 miles to Chesuncook Lake. Chesuncook is a 19 mile paddle offering views of Katahdin to the east and a stop at remote Chesuncook Village to check out the local history and visit ‘The Store’.
Distances and recommended days
- Saboomook to Roll Dam 2 miles, 1 day (exciting whitewater!)
- Roll Dam to Caribou Point 40 miles, 4-5 days
- Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Village, 20 miles, 3-4 days
- Lobster Lake Launch to Caribou Point, 33 miles, 3-5 days
- From Hannibal’s Crossing 31 miles, 3-4 days
Pricing per person for fully outfitted and guided trip
- $695.00 per person for a 3 day trip
- $850.00 per person for a 4 day trip
- Kids and teens up to age 17, 15% off when there is at least four in the group paying full price (your party or combined parties) .